Saturday, August 6, 2011

There Are Greater Things Yet to Be Done in This City


I sit looking out over the beautiful yet simple skyline of Sonora, California. My window is open as the sun says it’s good-night and the breeze floats in gently. I can see a spire glowing somewhere downtown and the needlepoints of tall evergreens against the almost navy sky now. A motorcycle rumbles into the neighbor’s driveway next door, but it’s a relatively quiet night in this cozy little place. It reminds me of home back in Campbellsville a little…except for the blessed absence of humidity! And for a moment, I wonder why can’t this be home? Why does my heart feel so at ease here? Why are we moving to New Orleans?

“Because that’s where I’m sending you,” comes the reply.

But why, Lord, are you sending us there? And then, I begin to see past the tucked in town out my window. People begin to trek across my mind. Even in this quiet, comforting place, there lives the family who seems so put-together but are contemplating divorce, the single guy who struggles with the depression, the recovering addict trying to stay clean, the alcoholic who sees no hope. Even in Sonora, there are greater things yet to be done. Just as in New Orleans. Lord, help my heart long for the people to know and taste that You are good. That You give peace. That You are their Light in the darkness.

“Your home is with Me, Child.”

Yes, yes, I know, Jesus. Help me to remember. No matter where I am or what I am doing, my home is with You. My heart belongs to You. And that’s why you send us. So that others can come home, too.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your heart! We will be praying for you and your family. I don't know if it will work out for us to get together before you leave town, but please know we love you and you are in our hearts and in our prayers. I know God has great plans for you guys!

    Love,

    Chris & Julie Combos

    ReplyDelete