Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Hike


Well, hello!!! It has been two weeks since we have updated this and I think it is time to let you know how things are going and where the Collies are at. I (Dave) have officially turned 34 since I wrote last and on my birthday, my wife planned the best day ever!!! She set up a whole day for us to go hiking with Thomas Atkins!!! Thomas is the one you probably don't recognize in the picture above.

I just want everyone to know, I absolutely LOVE hiking!!! Hiking is one of those things that takes lots of effort and is always more fun with other people. You get to see things that few people ever get to see for themselves and you often get the chance to experience dirt in places you never thought possible.

The hike we went on was called St. Mary's Pass. The views were spectacular and the things we saw I will never forget. The hike was intense and physically taxing. Actually it was one of the harder hikes I have ever been on, but at the same time it was one of the most rewarding.

I think this trip to California has a lot of similarities to my birthday hike. I want everyone to know, I absolutely LOVE California!!! This last month of being here has taken an extra dose of effort to plan meetings, help the kids adjust to a different environment and schedule, and living out of suitcases. At the same time though, we were able to live and spend time with lots of people. It has been such a joy to be with Nana and Grandpa. They are the BEST!!!! We have had such a great time living, eating, and just being with them and this time will never be forgotten. During our time here in Cali, we have had the opportunity to see things things that not everyone gets to see for themselves. Things like the sunset on the Pacific Ocean, California Costal Redwoods, bear poop, mountain streams, and high altitude wild flowers. One of my favorite things about hiking is the people you go with and for me that has been one of my favorite things about this trip. Not only did we get to see Nana and Grandpa, but we got to see countless other family members and long lost friends. We got a chance to share meals, swap stories, and encourage each other in life. The conversations shared were so great and uplifting and we will never forget this month in California.

Now as we think about our next adventure we are excited to see things that many people never get to see or experience and we are SO excited about going on this new adventure with some new friends. In less than a week we will be in New Orleans. Actually the next time we write on this blog, we will be in our new home. Pray for us as we prepare to leave. Pray that our final days will be glorious and fun. Pray we will be able to fly home and pack up with no glitches. Pray that we will have safe travels as we drive our family and all our earthly possessions into the swamps. Pray our kids are able transition into this new life quickly and easily. Pray we will be a blessing to those we meet and live life with in New Orleans.

Thanks, friends, for joining us on this journey. Thanks for your support and prayers. We are grateful for every single one of our dear friends and family. See you on the flip side!!!

1 comment:

  1. My friend, I am so ready to hear what God's going to do with you in New Orleans. Even though we miss you terribly here in Cville, everyone is happy for you and Jenn in your new endeavor. You can always guarantee that you have a huge fan base (or support- whatever) back home! Please continue to keep us updated and tell us what to pray for. I LOVE YOU COLLIES!!! Best of God (not luck)!!!

    ReplyDelete